Friday 10 May 2013

A Glimpse Of Indian Youth


A Glimpse Of Indian Youth
Just like any other day I was waiting at the usual place under the shade of trees to pick up my son’s school bus. There are two colleges near my regular waiting place. Hence the road is busy with students who pop out of their classes more frequently. A couple of shops on the opposite side of the road make a great business by catering to the needs of these students. Almost every day I find a group of students from the colleges sitting under two huge trees and merrily whiling away time with their friends. Busily munching the packed foods and leaving the filth behind. Some days I find them proudly flaunting their so called girl- friends. Other days I find them plagued by the amount of the empty calories they are adding up due to the junk foods and the cold beverages. Some of the boys leisurely loiter around the place and happily puff up a chain of cigarettes passed on by friends. I strongly abhor this place cursing my fate for being a victim of passive smoking.
Sometimes girls do occupy the same spots eagerly waiting for their male friends. They use this time for some adventure and take free bike riding lessons from their male counterparts. Most of them, voluntarily offer their expertise as it is time to display their penchant for bikes and their dynamic feats too.
Everyday a new story unfolds before me. I too wait for it eagerly as I get my dose of free entertainment for a span of 10-15min. These guys do remind of my college days and sometimes when I strongly rebuke their actions within myself. Perhaps my thinking is paralysed by middle aged syndrome as I started deriving a derisive pleasure in making value judgements on people around me.  At times I do envy them as our college days were much different and also we could never freak out so easily. But watching them regularly is a real fun as youth are full of energy and enthusiasm. They have the drive but at times are directionless. After watching them all these days I had an impression that they are carefree, light-hearted and beguile. I always found them so casual and cool.
But suddenly yesterday I was pleasantly surprised when I could see the place very clean devoid of smoke rings from a distance. I thought it was really unusual of them to be so. As I approached my usual spot little earlier than other days, I could over hear a loud and animated discussion. When I tried to concentrate on their talk, I discovered it was something related to our country. All the boys sported a grave look and were intently debating about the Indo-Pak relationships in the wake of Sarabjit’s death.
I was surprised by the ease with which a guy in the group started discussing about Kashmiri-Muslims, their allegiances, dwindling numbers of Kashmiri Pandits, implications of the Article 370. The hardships and resistance faced by the armed forces in Kashmir, incidence of the wars between India and Pakistan and further more the implications and consequences of the same in light of India’s diplomatic strategies. They were hugely debating about the biased opinions of the politicians. I was startled when another guy in the group started quoting some facts from various articles and book written by Indian historian Ramachandra Guha. I was bowled by their enthusiasm and knowledge of the current affairs. I never imagined that this group of youngsters could discuss and have well formatted opinions on serious issues. I always thought them to be more concerned about the IPL matches, latest movies and the remunerations paid to the cricketers during auction or the new movies under construction or ready for launch. Truly, they have warranted me to change my attitude towards them and to restrain from judging them by their playful behaviour. Before I could enjoy their discussion any more, the bus blew the horn and my little one jumped out of the bus with arms flung open inviting me to have a tight hug..........
 
 
@ Copyrights reserved.

No comments: